Floors are the largest surfaces in homes. Selecting the most appropriate flooring material depends on your personal taste, installation location, lifestyle, and budget. Every flooring type available in Barrie has unique benefits, cost implications, and cons.
Our post explores the six leading flooring materials you can install in your home. These include carpet, vinyl, hardwood, tile, laminate, and natural stone tile. We shall cover each option’s overall flooring costs, pros and cons, and also tips for choosing suitable flooring materials.
1. Natural Wood
Natural wood is one of the favourite flooring choices Barrie residents have. It requires gluing and nailing to a subfloor by professional installers. A subfloor is a rough concrete or plywood surface below your finished wooden floor.
A solid wood floor isn’t ideal in locations exposed to water, humidity, and moisture, such as kitchens, bathrooms, and basements. Rooms exposed to high child or dog activities expose them to scratching.
- The best visual appeal.
- Various materials, colors, and styles.
- Great value for your money.
- You can resurface it every 3-5 years.
- Ideal for shared living spaces.
- Costlier than other top flooring materials.
- May develop scrapes, scratches, and dents over time.
- A bit vulnerable to moisture damage.
For labour and materials, the average cost of installing a solid wood floor ranges between $6 and $12 per square foot. However, the price rises depending on your chosen wood and design. It costs about $3 to $8 per square foot to refinish a wooden floor.
Laminate is another popular floating flooring option because it doesn’t need a subfloor. However, it requires soft underlayment like foam. It can be glued or clicked, depending on your chosen laminate type. It’s scratch-resistant; you can install it in high-traffic areas like hallways and homes with children and pets.
- It’s cheaper than hardwood.
- It’s easy to install.
- Laminate is durable.
- Comes in various colors and styles.
- It’s excellent for high-traffic rooms.
- It’s vulnerable to moisture damage.
- Laminate is difficult to repair.
- Not suitable for kitchens or bathrooms.
Averagely, installing laminate costs between $3 and $7 per square foot.
Vinyl flooring is an excellent alternative for homeowners who have tighter budgets or just don’t like natural wood. Modern vinyl is durable and effectively mimics wood, ceramic, and stone flooring. It’s suitable for installation in bedrooms and living rooms.
- It’s cost-effective.
- Comes in various forms and styles.
- Suitable for high-traffic locations.
- It’s easy to maintain.
- It’s ideal for DIY installation.
- It takes 1-2 days to complete
- It offers lower ROI than wood and laminate.
- It’s less popular because of its appearance.
Depending on its type, you will spend an average of $1.50 (sheet vinyl) to $6 or more (LVP and LVT) per square foot.
Tile is another popular flooring type in Barrie. It comes in different forms, like ceramic, porcelain, and stone. You can use unglazed tiles in your bathroom to avoid slipping accidents. However, ensure it has a higher Coefficient of Friction (CoF) rating before installing it.
Don’t use porcelain tile floors in high-traffic areas because it’s vulnerable to chipping. You may use ceramic and porcelain tile flooring in high-traffic sites.
- It has various looks and designs.
- It’s durable.
- It’s non-porous or water-resistant.
- Ideal for kitchens, bathrooms, and entryways.
- It’s expensive.
- Hard to install.
- May chip and scratch under heavy use.
The average installation cost is $2.50 per square foot for ceramic and $3 to $10 for porcelain.
5. Natural Stone Tile
Natural stone tile is one of the best options for homeowners seeking a classic look. It includes granite, marble, travertine, and sandstone. Some stone materials, like travertine, last longer than others. Moreover, different flooring stones have varying purposes, applications, and properties. Its hard and durable nature makes it suitable for installation in high-traffic areas like hallways and entryways.
- It’s durable.
- Stone is insulated for greater warmth.
- You can find it in many styles, colors, and shapes.
- It’s excellent for radiant heating.
- Stone is eco-friendly.
- You can use it in homes with kids and pets like dogs.
- It’s one of the most expensive alternatives.
- It chips and scratches easily.
- Some stone tile types are porous.
- Repairing stone tile is expensive.
Due to its installation difficulty and weight, hiring a professional is the best option. An installation contractor charges an average of $5 to $10 per square foot. An average homeowner spends between $800 and $3,000 on materials and labour.
Carpets are some of the most common floor options among homes and commercial users. Carpeting offers excellent warmth for feet. You may use it in offices, as stair runners, as area rugs, and even to make your patio more comfortable.
- It’s highly cost-effective.
- Carpet is soft and warm on the feet.
- It comes in many colors and designs.
- It’s excellent for soundproofing.
- Stain-resistant varieties are available.
- It might be a bit difficult to maintain, requiring annual professional cleaning.
- It can absorb odours.
- Not suitable for homes with persons suffering respiratory complications.
- It’s not ideal for homes with pets.
- It’s unsuitable for use in moisture-prone locations like kitchens and bathrooms.
Depending on its material and padding thickness, the average installation costs range from $2.50 to $10 per square foot.
Tips for Choosing the Right Floor Type in Barrie
Here are quick tips to help you select the most suitable flooring materials.
- Choose your material based on its installation location. Some materials like carpet and hardwood aren’t suitable for all spaces.
- Select a flooring type based on your family’s needs. A home with young kids and pets needs spill-proof and scratch-resistant floors.
- Every flooring material has varying prices. So, choose your flooring based on your budgetary limits.
- Some flooring alternatives require padding, increasing overall installation costs.
- Select your flooring materials based on the aesthetic appeal you wish to create. Some floors are more stylish than others.
- Choose a flooring material with its long-term benefits in mind. Costlier materials offer better long-term investment.
Let’s Floor Your Home Today
There you go with the top six flooring types in Barrie. How would you like us to help you with your flooring needs? Don’t hesitate to contact us today for a free quote and consultation.